Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Picasso and Blogging

Do you remember the film Memento?  It came out in 2000 and I loved it!  It ripped back and forth between the present and the past, piecing together a story with a fragmented plot.  It did with film, I think, what Picasso and cubism did for painting; that is, synthesize sensory fragments in a way that generated an impression of meaning and truth.

Guernica by Pablo Picasso
My college art professor described it this way: Step 1, take a mirror image of something; Step 2, shatter that image; Step 3, forget what the original image looked like; Step 4, remember what your experience of it felt like; and Step 5, reassemble the shattered fragments in the way that best recreates that feeling.

What, you're probably wondering, do nonlinear narratives and cubism have to do with the farm?  Well, I  no longer work on the farm.  I'm up in the D.C. area living and looking for work.  I've still got a ton of blogs-in-process that recount my adventures on the farm.  But each week I enjoy new adventures that I'd like to share.

So much like Memento, this blog will begin to jump forward and backward between the present and the past.  I'm hoping not to jar your sensibilities, but rather to share with you an impression of the experience I'm having as The Apprentice.  It's no Guernica, but I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment