Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Back on the Farm

"Hurry up, we gotta go!"

These are the words Alec greeted me with as I arrived on the farm today.  Evidently the ten cows who had been grazing on the hillside behind the farm had decided to go for a scavenger hunt on their neighbors' properties.  They were searching for lush grass, cool water, and trouble...and unfortunately, had found all three.

It's been weeks since I was on the farm last.  The grass has grown.  The herds have grown.  Everything's greener and bigger than it was before.  There's chard and arugula in the garden and little girls running around in sun dresses and flip-flops.  Piglets.  Puppies.  Baby turkeys.  Spring is a wonderful time on the farm.

It's wonderful.  And it's busy.  Spring's bounty brings a ton of new work to the farm, and this is where I come in.  Since I haven't found the right job yet in Northern Virginia, I'm back in Southwest Virginia to help with all the chores.  There are animals to feed, fences to mend, gardens to weed, hoop houses to build, and countless adventures to have along the way.

I'm sure I'll get chased by cows and stung by bees and hugged by little girls and fed by good friends.  And I'll do my best to capture it here.  I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment